The EMS Publishing House is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the publication of high-quality peer-reviewed journals and high-quality books, on all academic levels and in all fields of pure and applied mathematics. The proceeds from the sale of our publications will be used to keep the Publishing House on a sound financial footing; any excess funds will be spent in compliance with the purposes of the EMF laid down in its statutes (see below). The prices of our products will be set as low as is practicable in the light of our mission and market conditions.
In order to operate a publishing house, the European Mathematical Society has created a corporation called European Mathematical Foundation. Although the EMF is legally a separate structure from the EMS, the statutes (english, deutsch) and bylaws (english, deutsch) of the foundation ensure the decisive influence of the EMS through the participation of committee members on the board of trustees. Moreover, the editorial boards of our journals and book series will consist of mathematicians approved by the EMS and sympathetic with its aims.
Scientific Advisory Board (SAB)
The Executive Committee decided to establish a Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) of the publishing house of the European Mathematical Society to represent all areas of mathematics appropriately.
The SAB shall advise the Executive Committee, the EMF Board and the Managing Director on scientific policy, future strategies for publishing, and new projects. Regarding future strategies for publishing, the SAB shall work together with the Publications Committee. Members of the SAB shall be elected for four-year terms by the Executive Committee. No member of the SAB shall serve for more than two consecutive terms.The Executive Committee approved the following remit of the SAB:
- The SAB shall advise the Executive Committee, the EMF Board and the Managing Director on scientific policy and future strategies for publishing.
- On demand of the Executive Committee, the EMF Board or the Managing Director, the SAB shall provide assessment of new projects of the publishing house.
- The SAB shall collaborate with the EMS Publication Committee.
The SAB is composed of:
- Jakob Yngvason (University of Vienna; Chair)
- Gabor Lugosi (Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona)
- Frances Kirwan (University of Oxford)
- Janos Pintz (Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest)
- Tomaž Pisanski (University of Ljubljana)
- Zdenek Strakos (Charles University in Prague)
- Angelika Steger (ETH Zürich)
- Dima Vassiliev (University College London)
Editorial of the EMS Newsletter, Issue 42, December 2001